It is our pleasure to confirm that the XVII World Water Congress will be held in a hybrid format between 29 November and 3 December 2021 in Daegu, Republic of Korea. Specific details on virtual participant registration will be published on the Congress website in the coming weeks. Speakers, oral/poster presenters, and special session coordinators not based in Korea will be contacted directly with instructions on how they may participate virtually.
Kindly note that it is highly recommended that attendance be conducted in person, where possible, given that a range of networking opportunities and activities will be accessible to in-person attendees only.
- International Participants: All Internationals need to be registered for the Congress by 13 October 2021, in order to be included in the joint application for quarantine exemption certificates that will be sent to the Korean Government.
- Participants from Korea: All those attending in person from Korea and any virtual participants from outside Korea will need to be registered to attend the Congress by 01 November 2021 to secure their slot in the programme.
- Take note: The official congress website will be updated shortly with this information but you can still register to join in person. Further information on the documentation that needs to be submitted is on the XVII Congress website.
QUARANTINE EXEMPTION INFORMATION
In order to apply for quarantine exemption all those attending in person will need to be registered for the Congress with travel and accommodation arranged by 13 October 2021. This will allow sufficient time for the Korean Government to review and disseminate applications to relevant Government departments. To be eligible for a quarantine exemption certificate you need to be fully vaccinated with a WHO recognised vaccine before applying and not travelling from a COVID-19 High Risk Country as per the latest list. *As of 1 October 2021, these countries are Namibia, Republic of South Africa, Malawi, Mozambique, Republic of the Union of Myanmar, Bangladesh, Brazil, Republic of Suriname, Angola, Uzbekistan, Indonesia, Chile, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Trinidad and Tobago, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Zambia, Djibouti.
Documentation which needs to be submitted includes an application form, copies of passports, vaccination certificates, flight tickets and accommodation bookings.
You will also need to meet the usual visa requirements for your passport, including applying in advance online for the new Korea Electronic Travel Authorisation (K-ETA) for people who have the right of visa-free travel to the Republic of Korea. The K-ETA is valid for multiple trips over a period of 2 years and the application fee is 10,000 KRW per person.
The main theme of this Congress will be “Foundations for Global Water Security and Resilience: Knowledge, Technology and Policy“, with sub-themes on:
- Building resilient systems for climate change, growing populations and epidemics
- Maximising social, cultural and economic benefits
- Adopting smart technologies, policies and processes
- Securing healthy waters, catchments and ecosystems
- Implementing pathways for development and cooperation